Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for providing expert level of technical support by solving complex problems, troubleshooting and working with customers to guide them to the best possible product solutions for their applications and experiments. The position works with, and mentors junior application and design engineers covering: optics, lasers, polarization, fiber, opto-mechanics, spectroscopy, microscope imaging systems, OCT, thin film coating and more. Between onsite lab opportunities and peer review, the position is exposed to every facet of the photonics industry. The position is primarily at our headquarters in Newton, NJ but there may also be opportunities to travel to tradeshows, other Thorlabs manufacturing facilities (foreign and domestic), and training events on and offsite.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Provide high level technical support via phone, web chat & e-mail to customers worldwide.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge and problem solving abilities in providing technical support to customers who purchase from our extensive product portfolio.
- Understand and further develop customer requirements for products and applications by providing feedback to internal marketing and design/manufacturing teams
- Demonstrate concern for customer centricity by quickly and effectively solving customer issues with strong aptitude for multitasking
- Reproduce complex set ups and create technical solutions in the lab.
- Assist with the creation and reporting of group KPI’s and data metrics
- Conducts training of internal tool usage, logistics, operational principles and applications ensure team members become more successful in their daily responsibilities
- Actively mentors and trains newer team members by providing specialized knowledge to growing group of Thorlabs Application Engineers
- Actively provides constructive feedback to all other Applications Engineers.
- Train new team members by passing on your unique skills to the growing group of Thorlabs Application Engineers.
- Support Marketing and Sales activities by attending Tradeshows and Customer visits.
- Participate and contribute to product improvement and new product development by actively being part of the interactive Thorlabs product development forum.
- Develop Marketing Materials such as test data, white papers, or video for use on our website or through other distribution channels
- Participate in resource scheduling and other supporting tasks to ensure smooth department operations.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Minimum of 2 years of direct experience with optics, mechanics, lasers, and/or electrical components
- BSc, MSc or PhD degree in Optics, Physics, Engineering or a related field with adequate work experience. MSc or higher preferred.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Specialized knowledge of Photonics and Laser Technology via work or laboratory experience.
- Ability to develop and communicate department goals in support of Thorlabs’ mission.
- Demonstrates strong sense of ownership
- Exhibits strong presentation skills.
- Desire to act as a team leader; demonstrates interest and skillsets to successfully foster positive team mentality
- Ability multitask, show attention to details, and to solve multi-disciplinary problems under time constraints
- Eagerness to learn about new technologies, process and business models
The position is a 40 hr/week position. The team starts at staggered times to cover our 8 am – 8 pm hours of operation.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.