Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The Electronics Technician assembles, tests and repairs electrical/electronic and electromechanical systems and components. The position applies knowledge of electrical/electronic and mechanical principles in determining equipment malfunctions and applies skills in restoring equipment to operation. The electronics technician provides skilled mechanical and electrical/electronic support to product manufacturing.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Perform test and assembly work requiring a thorough knowledge of electrical/electronic and mechanical theories and principles, writing specifications, local and national electrical codes, properties of various materials, and principles of operation and application of electronic equipment.
- Troubleshoots and repairs electromechanical and electrical/electronic equipment, including laser sources, optical choppers and photo-detectors.
- Installs, starts up and shuts down equipment in accordance with company safety procedures and in line with OSHA requirements.
- Informs appropriate management and engineering of potential electrical, mechanical and manufacturing problems.
- Maintains company-required performance and maintenance records for identified equipment.
- Performs preventive maintenance functions as directed.
- Assists and trains other technical-level employees.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 2 years of troubleshooting electronic systems experience.
- Using schematics, demonstrate the ability to identify components and explain basic electronic theory of circuits.
- Formal electronics training from technical school, Class A or B military school in electronics or communications, and/or four year electronics apprenticeship program.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with electronics troubleshooting equipment such as DMM, oscilloscope, frequency generator, spectrum analyzer, etc. or comparable electronics experience.
- Experience soldering of SMD (surface-mounted device) and thru-hole components and/or wiring.
- Proficiency in basic computer use (MS Office) and communication tools.