Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The NA Site Support Engineer is a Tier 2 IT support specialist that addresses hardware or software incidents or requests affecting users across multiple sites. This role's purpose is to provide on-site or remote technical assistance including the setting up of workstation systems, mobile devices, on-site network equipment, installing and upgrading software, and troubleshooting IT issues. This role is a member of a global support organization.
The tasks, duties, and responsibilities for NA Site Support Engineer are as follows:
- Carryout diagnosis and repair or manage repair services for network-related problems
- Maintain and preserve computer inventory and surplus equipment
- Address and manage the services to fix issues on LAN, site telephony, conference room systems, security systems, and local printing equipment
- Make sure desktop computers interconnect seamlessly with various systems
- Vouch for and implement upgrades on systems to guarantee longevity
- Evaluate functional needs to decide system purchase specifications
- Ascertain and manage the repair of hardware and network connectivity issue
- Support for technical upgrading and maintaining of entire desktop systems
- Assist in testing and deployment of new applications and systems
- Maintain an excellent level of customer service, ensuring that all customers are treated efficiently and in appropriate manner
- Maintain outstanding verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate seamlessly with technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in the organization
- Resolve issues by carrying out problem analysis to implement temporary or permanent solutions
- Organize training session for staff on the usage of new software/ applications and hardware
- Accurately record, update, and document requests or incidents using the ITSM tools and any other duties as assigned by the company.
The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, climb or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 60 pounds.
- AS Degree working toward BA/BS Degree,
- Technical School Certifications in computer science technologies.
- Certifications a plus+: ‘MCSE, PMP/Prince2/Agile, M365
- ITIL Foundations v4 a plus
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent written, communication, technical documentation skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks, act independently.
- Willing to support/work off hours and weekends and travel domestically
- Willingness and ability to take initiative and the desire to continually take on additional responsibilities.
- Previous experience working in an IT support role, four or more years' experience
- Technical proficiency in and learning attitude toward Microsoft 365, Active Directory, Mobile Devices, Zero Clients, PC/MAC, and related technologies
- MUST have or be willing to gain Microsoft 365 Certification in: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate within 180 days of employment
- Excellent customer service orientation
- Good communications skills - both oral and written
- Associate degree working toward a bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience preferred
- Demonstrates an understanding of his or her role and contribution to customer change management and adoption initiatives.
- Understands customer requirements and can map the adoption and optimization of Microsoft technology solutions accordingly.
- Demonstrated Self Learner.
- Proven ability to work virtually- highly organized.
- Communication Skills - Spoken and written English (including technical writing).
- Analytical-curious Problem Solving
- Solid understanding of the Microsoft Windows platform.