Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The position is responsible to verify that products operate as designed; ensures that all new product designs meet the relevant quality, compliance and safety standards. Test engineers create procedures and guidelines to ensure that products perform at a quality level and within governmental and industry regulations followed by manufacturers in both international and domestic markets. Working with both management and lower-level staff, test engineers coordinate information between departments, educating design teams about product specifications and participating in training of personnel.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Developing automated functional test programs for new and existing products.
- Develop tests for PC based and stand-alone test equipment. This includes designing and building test jigs/stations, selecting test equipment and integrating them into the test system
- Maintains engineering team accomplishments by reviewing open issues and action items; coordinating actions; contributing information and analysis to team meetings and reports.
- Prepares test reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing measurement data and trends.
- Updates job knowledge by tracking and understanding emerging engineering practices and standards; participating in educational opportunities and professional organizations; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks.
- Enhances engineering and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Test software releases during the product development; reports on test results and enters problems and issues into the bug database.
- Will assist compliance by designing and testing set-ups for approval applications; recording test results; preparing investigative reports; preparing and filing Declarations of Conformity; maintaining compliance database.
- Perform hands-on tests for certification pre-screening and requires some travel to in-state testing laboratories.
- Assist in troubleshooting and investigating products and RMAs issues.
- Minimum 3 years of electronic hardware engineering experience.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, preferably electrical or mechanical engineering
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated capability of implementing production test systems utilizing automated programs such as LabView.
- Knowledge of test equipment such as DVMs, oscilloscopes. Etc.
- Must be able to read and understand electrical schematics.
- Knowledge on packaging, production planning, manufacturing methods and procedures, manufacturing quality, process improvement
- Strong attention to details.
- Strong proficiency in MS office and communication tools.
- Excellent statistical data analysis and problem-solving abilities.
- Effectively reports progress and problems through written or oral reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Strong innovation skill.
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.