Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
Thorlabs Laser Division, located in Jessup, MD, is looking for a self-motivated, detail-oriented, and eager-to-learn individual to work as a manufacturing technician. This position is responsible for fiber laser system assembly in both manufacturing and R&D settings. Main responsibilities include material inspection and preparation, electrical, mechanical, and optical fiber assembly, generating production test data, and preparing products for shipment. Additional responsibilities include tracking and organizing inventory as well as data entry in an online database system. This position will be cross trained on multiple product lines. Both part-time and full-time applicants will be considered for this position.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Build fiber amplifier and laser assemblies according to assembly instructions.
- Ability to utilize sensitive production equipment such as fiber splicers and measurement instruments.
- Maintain data systems to record and report test results.
- Understand and follow work instructions, engineering drawings, and other material used for the production of complex systems involving electronics, mechanical assemblies and fiber components.
- Properly handle critical and fragile optical components.
- Manage inventory of parts and finished products.
- Perform incoming inspection for mechanical, electronic, and fiber components utilizing standard inspection tools.
- Organize and count physical inventory of parts on a regular basis.
- Utilize online databases to perform inventory transactions.
- Support R&D activities by building assemblies based on engineering instructions and performing engineering-designed tests.
- Follow cleanroom protocol.
- Provide continuous improvement feedback on procedures and processes.
- Meet output and quality goals.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.