Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
This Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for all aspects of process engineering to support all products produced at Thorlabs-UFO. Must be familiar with opto-electronic products, precision assembly, fiber optics, and high-reliability hermetic processes. Will act as critical interface between engineering and production. Must be familiar with designing and implementing automated production fixtures and documenting assembly and testing processes.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all production and test equipment (acquisition and maintenance)
- Responsible for transferring new products to production (work closely with development)
- Development of new manufacturing fixtures and processes
- Design, implement, and procure new production equipment as needed
- Interpret product requirements for production processes
- Provide feedback to engineering for new product development
- Assist production staff with process documentation
- Responsible for product qualification equipment and testing procedures
- Resident expert for hermetic sealing processes
- Training of assemblers where required on new processes
- Responsible for maintaining all production equipment in calibration
- Interact with vendors to specify and install new equipment
- Assist production staff as required from time to time
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.