Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
This is an electrical engineering position at Thorlabs Ultrafast Optoelectronics (UFO) division in Ann Arbor where we develop high-speed photonics instrumentation. The primary responsibility is to assist senior engineering staff in new product development, support existing products, and also develop & implement assembly & test procedures for products that contain precision optical, mechanical, and electronic components. This person will also offer technical support and guidance to the manufacturing operation.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Provide a broad range of engineering support to the senior engineering staff (analog & digital circuit design, RF & microwave design, product development and testing)
- Assemble & test optical, electrical, and mechanical components of varying sizes and complexity in support of new product development
- Perform analog electrical circuit design, simulation, layout, procurement and prototyping
- Oversee the progression of new products from engineering to production
- Write assembly & test procedures for new products and processes
- Work with the aid of a stereo microscope (requires excellent eye-hand coordination)
- Work with wire-bonders and high precision pick & place equipment
- Train assemblers to produce high-precision opto-electronic products
- Write automatic test procedures (e.g. LabView)
- Set up and calibrate assembly fixtures & test equipment
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 5 years of professional, hands-on experience with electronic systems
- Experience with electronic testing using oscilloscopes, probes, and multi-meters
- RF/microwave design or testing experience is valuable
- Experience with optical and/or fiber-optic components preferred
- Experience with reading and understanding electrical schematics
- Analog circuit design, layout, and implementation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
Special Knowledge or Skills:
- Be detail oriented, highly organized, and enjoy following & developing processes
- Experience with circuit simulators is beneficial
- Specialization in high-frequency systems and applications