Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This mid-level engineering position requires an individual who has a fiberoptic background, preferably in fiber splicing, shaping, or tapering. Position entails the development and design of new fiberoptic products for the Advanced Photonics business unit. The engineer will be responsible for managing projects from concept to finished product. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design new fiberoptic products to add to the Thorlabs online catalog, which might include, Fiber Probes, Patch Cables, Fiber Coupling Devices, Opto-Mechanical Components, etc.
- Provide hands-on support to our fiber splicing operations.
- Specify, and or, perform the metrology required to characterize products. This includes technical data such as qualification test procedures, acceptance test procedures, reports, component maintenance manuals, etc.
- Follow prototype designs from conception through manufacture.
- Responsible for all related production documentation, which includes, bills of material, engineering drawings, testing requirements, tooling, and specification of thin film coatings.
- Provide web page data, descriptions, measurements, and graphs to support the web page team.
- Interact with production personnel to define and solve manufacturing/design issues and implement cost reduction ideas.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Fiberoptic experience is required, specifically experience with one or more of the following: fiber splicing, shaping and tapering technologies.
- Bachelor's degree in Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics or a related discipline.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with SolidWorks, CAD, or other modeling software helpful
- Strong project Management skills with a deep sense of ownership
- Strong ability to take initiative
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment