Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The Manufacturing Technician III serves the Imaging Systems division as a liaison between, engineering, production, quality, Imaging Techsupport, field service, RMA management, and the customer. The position is located in our Sterling, VA office. This position requires strong multi-tasking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently.
The position involves tasks such as: reviewing sales and return orders, repairing and dispositioning parts returning from the field, troubleshooting field service issues via team viewer, and coordinating with Imaging Techsupport on product status. Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as experience collaboratively supporting a department are a must.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Quality Assurance testing for service systems.
- Assisting in inventory tracking and maintaining parts supply to the field service group.
- Completing evaluation of returned field service related items as they are received.
- Assisting imaging techsupport with providing quotations to the customer for recommended repairs.
- Effectively completing required repairs and final testing to ensure customers receive their equipment promptly once a repair PO has been received.
- Providing imaging techsupport and field service engineers with feedback related to RMA forms, repair information and other necessary information to facilitate customer interaction.
- Assisting the production QC team with system level quality control testing and verification when necessary.
- Maintains highest levels of quality and safety within the organization.
- Works with Product Support Manager, and Imaging Techsupport to execute specific customer requests outside of standard production requirements.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
The employees must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, they should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination. Exerts up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally.
- Experience with electro-mechanical systems considered a plus
- Hands-on experience in the photonics industry, laser or physics lab preferred.
- 2-Year Technical degree – Mechanics or Electronics
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent computer skills must.
- Strong problem solving/analysis skills.
- Manual dexterity to assemble and align precision Electro-mechanical systems.
- Soldering/Circuit Design Experience is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, both within operations and throughout the organization.
- Mechanical aptitude with both manufactured and lab test equipment.
- Strong background in all Two-Photon/Confocal production systems and products including software operation and maintenance a plus
- Excellent organizational skills to maintain update test documentation and software archives.
- High attention to detail.
- Work independently to solve problems and achieve results.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.