Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The position is responsible for the fabrication of precision optical components using established procedures and processes. Items include but are not limited to, Prisms, Lenses, Windows, Mirrors etc. made from specialty glasses and/or crystals. This position is also responsible for training of other optics manufacturing technicians. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Cleaning, handling, and packaging of precision optical components.
- Inspects all work before passing on to the next operations and/or to inventory using advanced metrology tools like interferometers, autocollimators, and test plates.
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas.
- Proficient in MIL-PRF-13830B manufacturing standards.
- Works with supervisor to alleviate issues that would negatively affect production.
- Understanding of various causes of subsurface damage how to mitigate them.
- Consistently grind parts within ±0.03mm of nominal thickness
- Adept in various blocking techniques like pitch, wax, sweat, WAMP and optical contacting.
- Capable of maintaining and operating various grinding machines: hand, conventional and CNC.
Employees must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, Technicians should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination to not only assemble but grind and precisely place pieces. Work may be sedentary, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. The work cell areas may be noisy at times.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar position preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.