Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The position is responsible to help oversee and improve the production process for the division, teaching assembly techniques, improving manufacturing process issues, solving production related problems, and promoting quality throughout production and other departments.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for identifying problems, and providing solutions for manufacturing issues relating to newly released products, and current production work-flow.
- Plan production layouts helping to facilitate lean manufacturing and six sigma (or equivalent) standards and practices.
- Participate in design reviews with engineering department to help identify and discuss proper procedures and potential issues with newly developed products prior to releasing for production.
- Training and collaboration with production personnel to continue improving on existing manufacturing and testing processes throughout the division.
- Interface with engineering and operations to ensure transfer to production of new product releases are in accordance with the approved release processes, requirements, and specifications.
- Collaborate with engineers to improve design quality, manufacturability, and cost efficiency by contributing to and updating design standards.
- Work with engineering to help verify test specifications and acceptance criteria for released products, and identify critical dimensions or tolerances for newly released machine parts.
- Collaborate with the RMA and service departments to help inspect and disposition customer returns from the field. Identify, and assist in implementing root cause analysis and corrective actions to prevent future failures.
- Create and maintain manufacturing process documents to reflect current and future conditions.
- Collaborate with technicians and assembly personnel to make necessary changes or revisions to assembly, test, and alignment procedures for division products.
- Create necessary jigs and fixtures to improve production efficiency or reduce component damage and waste.
- Assist in completing engineering changes identified through prototype and pilot runs to increase product manufacturability.
- Help create and maintain production routing steps and timing for newly released, and existing Imaging Systems products
- Assist in Rev Control and documentation verification using Axapta and the Thorlabs TECM module.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a relevant engineering position, or related position in a manufacturing environment. Design for Six Sigma and Lean manufacturing experience a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or Related Technical Areas
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic computer knowledge such as, but not limited to, Solidworks, Microsoft products, and Axapta.
- Experience with manufacturing, configuration management, and product development in an R&D / New Product Development Environment.
- Experience with quality improvement tools and techniques (i.e., Lean, Six Sigma, Process Control, and Failure Mode & Effects Analysis).
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Experience using standard measurement equipment (calipers, micrometers, pin and thread gauges….etc.)
- Strong attention to detail.