|The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world's hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration? Do you like seeing your work applied to real life applications that travel to space? Then you should consider joining the Lockheed Martin Space Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) as a Staff Optical Payload Designer! OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our members bring together authorities across the nation, within Lockheed Martin, our industry partners and leading research universities, into one fast-acting, collaborative group.
As an Optical Payload Designer, your responsibilities will include being the lead optics designer on one or more of OPCoE's critical programs.
• Background in development of space flight E-O payloads, subsystems, and/or major components
• Experience with optical system design, manufacture, assembly, alignment and test
• Experience with Zemax OpticStudio or equivalent
• Experience developing technical material for presentation to senior leadership
• Experience working with leadership and IPTs
• Experience on development programs
• Active Top Secret clearance or equivalent
• Active TS/SCI clearance or equivalent
• Familiarity with LM Engineering command media
• Ability/experience to lead small teams, both administrative and technical
• Experience in all phases of product life cycle, including understanding of the Specifications and derived requirements flow down, Payload System architectures, concepts of operations, and interface requirements
• Solid ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment. Technical leadership of both internally provided and sub-contracted hardware teams
• Work with the Integrated Product Team, Certified Principal Engineers, Subcontract Managers and Program Management to coordinate Payload System level impacts as part of your day to day technical participation in the program
• Manage technical content of design reviews at the Payload and component levels and ensure successful closure of all action items and design artifacts
• Support resolution of test failures, hardware anomalies, and provide support to system engineering during critical program achievements
You would typically have a Bachelors degree and 14-20 years of professional experience, a Masters and 12-18 years, or a PhD and 9-15 years.