|The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world's hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration, and seeing your work applied to real life applications that travel to space? Then join Lockheed Martin Space’s Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) for as an Optical Payload: Optical and Sensor Components Manager! OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems.
We are looking for a strong leader to develop high TRL (test readiness level) products for missile and space hardware. You will report and be deployed into Space Engineering and Technology (E&T) Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) organization. This position will lead a group to develop a product portfolio consisting of focal plane assemblies (FPAs), optics, lasers, lidar receivers, and other strategic electro-optical components. This group will work with the OPCoE Chief Engineer, architects and Fellows to develop product maturation plans in accordance with Lines of Business (LOB) roadmaps and need dates. This group will keep abreast of SOA (State of Art) as well as SOP (State of Practice) to provide subject matter expertise (SME) across all program lifecycles. This group will be consulted on make/buy decisions for their products and would be the execution team if a “make” decision was determined by the program. You will significantly impact the enterprise through establishment of a dedicated team working to drive common, high TRL products across programs.
As the Optical Payload: Optical and Sensor Components Mgr, you will:
• Partner with Lines of Business (LOB), OPCoE Program Development, and OPCoE Payload Systems Engineering teams to develop architectures in a consistent manner to allow use of common products
• Develop transition plans for low TRL products from the science and technology community. An example will be to work with the ATC (Advanced Technology Center) and ensure handoffs are understood between the two organizations.
• In coordination with OPCoE Program Development, propose and execute IRAD projects with a goal of standardization and maturation. You will identify targeted products to reach a state that can be considered “high TRL”, “commodity” or “Off- the-Shelf”.
• Enhance relationships with strategic suppliers and other LM Business Areas (BAs) to compliment the in-house OPCoE team.
• Perform as part of the Integrated Product Team (IPT) in cases where an OPCOE make is selected. Your team will support through all program phases and be responsible for EU (engineering unit), qualification and flight as determined by the program. This may be at the component, sub-assembly or subsystem level.
• Work closely with Payload IPTs leads and LOB leadership to understand mission drivers. Fold emerging mission trends into product roadmap to ensure a discriminating edge
• Implement and lead technical knowledge management to develop and maintain core competencies, key technical skills, knowledge continuity and facilitate career advancement opportunities to employees.
• Handle staffing requirements, sustain engineering capabilities and preserve critical skills.
This is a part-time telecommuting position.
• Bachelors degree in a technical discipline (i.e., mechanical, electrical, or other related engineering/science discipline); or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Demonstrated experience in manufacturing, producibility and/or qualification of optical benches and telescopes
• Established experience in developing technical talent and building pipelines to sustain technical expertise within the organization.
• US citizenship with the ability to obtain TS/SCI w/Poly clearance
• Have experience working across space and ground applications. Our systems include ground-to-ground, space to ground (and vice versa), and space to space.
• Have experience in developing active EO (lidar systems). We employ bi-static and mono-static architectures. We develop the associated electronics, thermal control and packaging for our systems. You will work with other groups to ensure that optical components are integrated into the overall payload.
• Demonstrated experience in specification and procurement of focal plane arrays (FPAs). For passive EO, we work with staring and scanning FPAs in the visible and IR domain. For active EO, we work across multiple types of lidar receiver arrays, primarily GmAPD.
• Excellent communications skills both verbal and written with the proven ability to communicate
• Demonstrated ability to drive closure and resolve complex technical issues/challenges.
• Variety of customer experience and exposure (intelligence, defense, science, and commercial markets).
• Have experience in developing space qualification plans for components (typically, a Bachelors degree and 14-20 years of professional experience, a Masters and 12-18 years, or a PhD and 9-15 years)
• 8 years of demonstrated technical expertise
• 3 years demonstrated hands-on expertise in space OR complex hardware/software systems
• Prior Full Spectrum Leadership roles with proven experience leading employees to perform productively and foster relationships in a cross-functional team environment
• Current TS/SCI/Poly security clearance