Mid-Level SQL Server Data Engineer
|Thorlabs, Inc., Newton, NJ, United States|
Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Looking for an experienced dynamic SQL Server Database Administrator/Engineer, with deep knowledge and broad experience of MS SQL and Azure Cloud skills to join our Database Engineering team at Thorlabs. We are a fast-paced and growing group that manages the complete data needs of the firm. Primary role of this position will be to cover all aspects of data needs in the organization, production system support and troubleshooting, implementing database systems, setup database monitoring, implement Disaster recovery Strategies, project planning, developing documentation and runbooks. This person will be part of a group rotation providing weekend on-call support.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Conduct monitoring, maintenance and development of our database solutions on-prem and Azure; including business critical reporting and BI systems.
- Troubleshoot technical issues and identify modifications needed in existing applications to meet changing user requirements. Research and troubleshoot data pipeline questions.
- Manage and maintain optimal performance of business critical applications, including Dynamics AX.
- Manage security role, Role base access, authentication and authorization of users accessing various database systems.
- Would require understanding manufacturing and lean processes to execute some functional specifications
- Develop and implement Disaster Recovery (DR) strategies, high availability and backup restore schedules.
- Develop and optimize queries to increase efficiency in our systems
- Collaborate on problem resolution, team decisions and project planning.
- Build fail-proof data pipelines (ETL) to move data between different systems while maintaining integrity using Azure tools and cloud-based ETL development processes.
- Experience connecting to varied data sources, on-prem and cloud.
- Excellent SQL coding experience with performance optimization for data queries.
- Understands different data models like normalized, de-normalized, stars, and snowflake models. Working experience with transactional, temporal, time series, and structured and unstructured data, AzureDataLake is a plus.
- Working experience with MPP DWH system like Azure synapse is highly desirable.
- Experience in deployment and maintenance of ETL Jobs.
- Is familiar with the reporting tools like Power Bi and SSRS or any other.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Science, or equivalent work experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- SQL: clustering, mirroring, replication, scripting, stored procedures, functions, performance tuning and trouble shooting.
- Azure: Azure Data Factory, Azure SQL database, Azure Synapse, Databricks, Azure Analysis Services, Azure DataLake storage
- Reporting Tools: Power Bi, SSRS
- Languages: TSQL, Python, PowerShell, JSON, Pyspark
- Data modelling: Tabular model, Star Schema, Columnar modelling
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.