The Enterprise Data Architect (EDA) primary goal is to keep data easily accessible and accurate. To meet that goal, the EDA reviews, refines and implements data standards. Examples of data standards include those that define how data is categorized or how codes are assigned to represent specific products, customers and other data types. Gathering information about data use in the workplace, the architect creates a blueprint or road map, showing processes and services that affect data use and data standards. The architect works with project managers and business stakeholders to implement that design.
The EDA is further expected to act as the team leader for the global DBA resources and provide them daily technical guidance and management. The role as EDA is hands on, relishing learning, provide guidance and create value added services for a data hungry organization.
Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- The EDA works with teams to solve business data problems.
- The EDA develops data modeling methods, databases, data warehouses, master data and metadata.
- The EDA acts as a data evangelist to address business process improvement with users in finance, purchasing, quality, human resources, and other departments.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
*The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- 10+ years of experience in database design, data warehousing and data modeling
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Science, or equivalent work experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Prior experience as DBA architect
- Experience with the MS SQL stack - SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, Azure Synapse, Azure analysis Services, DataVerse etc
- Knowledge of ERP system databases, preferable MS Dynamics/Axapta.
- Comes from a mixed heterogeneous SQL environment.
- Knowledge of project management
- Experience with data modeling software, AI/ML
- Experience with architecting the migrating to cloud, preferably Azure and the configuration of security, replication and environment tuning
- Communicate directly with users, speaking in terms they understand.
- Should have good business knowledge and be able to explain technical concepts without using complex, technical terms.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.