Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
Thorlabs is seeking a Packaging Engineer with the ability to develop and implement solutions for storing, handling, transporting, and shipping delicate optical components of diverse shapes, sizes, and composition. This individual will work directly with production and engineering to create or improve solutions to help deliver product to market.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Designs packaging materials for safe handling and protection from typical environment of optical components throughout the manufacturing process.
- Employs techniques for space efficiency and equipment compatibility.
- Designs finished packaging for safe shipment of product to customers.
- Understands required degree of part cleanliness and its impact yield, returns, and quality.
- Understands environmental impact and utilizes “green” packaging whenever possible.
- Manages packaging life cycle. Upon introduction, train employees on packaging revision or creation to the appropriate personnel. Maintain cleaning procedures, and initiate end of life and replacement as needed.
- Analyses and upgrades existing packaging materials and designs for optimal performance and aesthetics.
- Manages library of acceptable packaging for each product, and minimize the variations required from product to product.
- Stays informed of latest trends to packaging within and outside of the photonics industry.
- Provides expertise and assistance in design to engineering and area managers.
- Operates testing equipment to understand the impact of material changes to product packaging designs.
- Provide technical support to the supply chain for packaging related issues.
- Analyzes how packaging characteristics affect manufacturing quality and throughput.
- Finds opportunities to reduce waste, costs, and increase the useful lifetime or recyclability of materials.
- Assists in complete support of product handling. Includes aid in tooling, jigs, storage locations, handling tools, and processes.
- Bachelor Degree in Materials Science, Packaging Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Marketing, Industrial Design, Logistics, Science, Engineering, Design or related fields
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Problem solving skills for product design and modification
- Experience with Solidworks or other CAD software for creating technical Drawings
- Interacting with vendors
- Familiarity with vacuum sealing and nitrogen purging
- Understanding of outgassing
- Conceptualizing flow from vendor all the way to customer.
- Injection molding experience or knowledge is a plus
- Tool and fixture design experience is a plus
- Machining experience is a plus
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.