Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The glass fabrication technician fabricates ultra-high purity glasses by preparing powders, mixing batches, and using melting and casting procedures. Provides support to glass fabrication by troubleshooting. Assists with the fabrication of new glass products. Works under the direction of Fiber Manufacturing Manager. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Incoming inspection of all raw materials to manufacture glass products.
- Maintaining Inventory of all raw materials:
- Ordering gases
- Powder inventory
- Chemical inventory
- All glass fabrication mechanical parts
- Proper use of chemicals for glass fabrication
- Grind and prepare powders
- Mix powders to exact specifications
- Weigh powder batches to exact specifications
- Clean tools and glass melting crucibles
- Clean glass melting furnace twice daily
- Assembly and use of glass molds
- Inspection of preform quality to process specifications
- Proper recording of all data related to the fabrication of glass drawn products into the database
- Perform other BU essential functions and participate in assigned cross training.
- Two years manufacturing experience
- High School diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in basic computer use (Word, Excel) and communication tools
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Basic math skills to include: decimals, unit conversions (standard/metric).
- Attention to detail
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.