Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
Thorlabs Measurement Systems engineering team continuously designs, develops, and tests new products to add to our industry leading portfolio of metrology components. In our group the engineering technician plays a critical role in accelerating the development of our products by providing direct support to the design engineer. The location for this position is in Blairstown NJ, however it may require travel to other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Participate in the design of new products
- Design and develop test and verification processes
- Prototype through production product testing
- Create test reports
- Create Assembly Instructions and do the initial training
- Create Engineering Change Orders and update revision controlled documents
- Perform product testing based on customer inquiries
- Maintain the design and development lab and equipment
- Build tradeshow demonstration
- 1 years of experience in a technical field
- BS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Superior ability to diagnose and troubleshoot issues
- Experience working with hand tools, power tools and diagnostic equipment
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent at creating test reports in PowerPoint
- Proficiency in basic computer use (MS Office) and communication tools
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong ability to work well in a team environment, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.