Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The technician fabricates and tests optical fiber equipment. Provides support to production by troubleshooting mechanical and/or electrical issues. Assists R&D with the fabrication of new products within Vytran Business Unit. Works under the direction of Production Manager. Although the location of the position is in Morganville, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Must be able to understand written work instructions, mechanical drawings, and schematics for a wide range of products to properly assemble and test the final product to the highest of quality standards and with zero scrap or rework.
- Assemble products of varying sizes and complexity. Includes cleaning, inspecting, and testing of complex sub-assemblies and final assemblies.
- Notify engineering of conditions requiring more complex resolution, recurring failures, potential service issues, or identified new product limitations. Make recommendations for potential design or procedural changes.
- Proper handling of critical and fragile optical components.
- Perform system diagnostics and review of production units to determine operating performance and potential causes or areas of quality control failures.
- Diagnose hardware and software problems, run appropriate computer programs, analyze data, isolate areas of potential or actual problems and determine any required modifications to suit current requirements and resolve problems.
- Complete projects according to engineering instructions and technical manuals using knowledge of electronic, mechanical, and optical systems or components.
- Create/maintain all necessary documentation needed for test procedures.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment through compliance with procedures, policies and regulations.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
*The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- The employees must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, they should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination. Work may be sedentary, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 30 lbs. of force occasionally.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.