Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The maintenance technician for the Thin Film Coating Lab will be responsible for performing preventative maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment used for coating precision optics, as well as, other duties needed to support the coating lab. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Preform preventative maintenance of vacuum coating chambers, including, bead blasting machine parts and tooling, cleaning and re-foiling the chamber.
- Data entry of work performed into maintenance software program.
- Perform media changes on Crest Ultrasonic clean line system.
- Perform maintenance on vapor degreaser.
- Assist in troubleshooting and repair of various production equipment
- Drive continuous improvement of the maintenance program.
- Complies with safety regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas.
- No experience required
- Experience in a manufacturing environment maintaining and repairing production machinery is plus.
- High School diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledgeable of good housekeeping and safety practices in a clean room environment a plus.
- Strong problem solving/analysis skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong sense of confidentiality & ethical conduct.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.