Thorlabs is a manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems. Our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems. Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments. Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
Thorlabs’ mechanical draftsman is part of the NPI team that interfaces with a variety of teams including mechanics, optics, firmware, software, marketing, sales, and production. In our group the engineering technician plays a critical role in the transition from development into production of our products by providing direct support to the engineers. Although the location of the position is in Sterling, VA, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Performs product development activities with guidance from engineering staff
- Create ESD (Engineering Support Drawings) for released products on the web catalog
- Create and/or check machine prints and 3D models
- Design and develop jigs, engraving files, test and verification processes
- Review BOMs (Bill of Materials) during preproduction builds
- Monitoring and maintaining product development schedules
- Create assembly instructions and do the initial training
- Create packaging solutions for new products
- Create Engineering Change Orders and update revision controlled documents
- Interacts with vendors for design of components.
- Maintains accurate product documentation and work instructions and provides technical support to the assembly departments.
- Investigates cost reduction issues under engineers’ guidance.
- Various support functions as needed
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas
- 2 years of experience in a similar position preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Superior ability to diagnose and troubleshoot issues
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in basic computer use (MS Office) and communication tools
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong ability to work well in a team environment, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others.
- Experience with 3-D modeling applications and techniques as well as proficiency with office productivity software.
- Proficient with documentation such as ECRO’s and initial release drawings
- Possess basic mechanical aptitude. Use and safety of small hand tool is a must.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.