Spectra-Physics, Ophir and Newport are brands within the MKS Instruments Light & Motion division. We provide a full range of solutions including lasers for precision industrial and scientific research applications, laser and LED measurement, beam profiling, precision motion control, optical tables and vibration isolation systems, photonics instruments, opto-mechanical components and optical elements. MKS Light & Motion solutions enhance our customers’ capabilities and productivity in the semiconductor, industrial technologies, life and health sciences, research and defense markets.
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.
Are you naturally curious? So are we at MKS. Our collective curiosity drives us to be an innovation leader in many industries. Our products drive technology advancements across a wide range of applications like cloud computing, clean drinking water, self-driving cars and space exploration. We are a team of collaborators who value fresh thinking and believe in mutual respect, constructive candor, diversity and inclusion. As a valued and trusted partner to our customers, we are continually pushing the boundaries of possibility. We believe in creating technology that transforms our world and are looking for like-minded individuals to join our team. If this is appealing to you, we want to meet you.
We are looking for a Principal Manufacturing Engineer who will develop and document manufacturing processes for opto-mechanical and/or electro-mechanical products (systems, modules and assemblies), including assembly, alignment and testing. Key responsibilities include:
- Writing assembly and test procedures and work instructions which will follow the company's standard. Provide training and cross training to production personnel and ensure they can perform their job duties.
- Facilitate customer Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) and prepare the company's ECOs following the protocol for Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) product. Actively work with program managers, planers, buyers and document control to implement the changes, within the appropriate timeframe, correctly and independently.
- Provide sustaining engineering support to Production and continuously make efforts to improve the current process for cost efficiency and time reduction within Manufacturing.
- Assume the technical role in supporting multiple programs in Manufacturing to achieve division and company performance goals. Take the technical responsibility to ensure smooth production of all assigned programs. Monitor manufacturing process and solve technical issues in timely manner. Design and maintain tooling fixtures, test setups and equipment. Implement 5S and lean manufacturing in production area.
- Support the Quality department. Support design failure mode and effect analysis (DFMEA) and process failure mode effects analysis (PFMEA) activities. Perform failure analysis and implement corrective actions to improve the product yield and quality. Implement statistical process control (SPC) in the manufacturing process to prevent product defect and minimize the failure rate. Investigate return merchandise authorization (RMA) units to quickly identify the root cause. Providing reports to customer promptly.
What will you bring to the team is:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering. Electrical Engineering preferred
- 8 years of related experience.
- Solid knowledge of optics theory (geometrical, physical and lasers), mechanics and electronics; hands on experience with optics components, lasers and diodes.
- Familiar with common electric and optic instruments such as oscilloscopes, power meters and detectors. Basic optical alignment and testing skills. Basic knowledge of optical aberration theory and interferometer experience.
- Familiar with electrical, mechanical, and optical blueprints and knowledge of LabView and Solidworks (CAD) preferred.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing procedure and workflow; experience and knowledge of 5S and lean manufacturing is a plus and knowledge of Cleanroom protocols preferred.