Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Purpose of the Position:
Thorlabs is currently seeking applications from individuals who would like to use knowledge gained through significant hands-on laboratory experience to help define and drive the forward momentum of the organization’s digital footprint. Within this role, you will work alongside our video, animation, and graphic artists, partnering with our worldwide product managers, design engineers, and application specialists. The Content Strategist must be a self-starter who can work through ambiguity to lead projects from start to finish, ensuring all content is technically accurate and meets brand standards.
Within this role in our marketing department, you will be working with management to help define and develop Thorlabs’ digital presence, both on the Thorlabs website as well as across other media channels. The successful candidate should be highly familiar with a wide range of photonics equipment and be able to see linkages between Thorlabs’ product lines. In addition to extensive laboratory experience, the role requires a highly detail-oriented individual with the ability to concurrently manage multiple projects in different stages of completeness. Candidates should have strong writing and presentation skills in English, excellent organizational skills, the ability to work under time constraints, and a desire to learn about new technologies.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- As a technical expert, you will partner with a cross-functional team (including, for example, applications engineers, design engineers, videographers, and motion graphics) to plan, develop, and manage the successful delivery of compelling video content that educates the photonics community about Thorlabs’ manufacturing capabilities, products, and their applications.
- Proactively identifies opportunities where a video or animation would be the best option for communicating how a new or existing item works or explaining a technical concept.
- Partners with management to determine the strategic scope and vision for enhancing Thorlabs’ digital content.
- Ensures titles, keywords, and descriptions are written to maximize exposure on external platforms.
- Defines and tracks metrics for videos/animations published on the Thorlabs website and hosted on Thorlabs’ YouTube channel to identify potential areas for growth.
- In crafting presentations, aims to make customers efficient when it comes to making a buying decision or understanding tutorial information.
- Manages multiple projects in different stages of production and consistently meets deadlines.
- Reviews content prior to publication to verify accuracy of closed captioning, and partners with colleagues in other locations for caption translation.
- Utilizes strong interpersonal and organizational skills to effectively collaborate in a team environment.
- Partners with our Communications Specialist to develop Social Media posts tied to video content.
- Structures and organizes the job in close cooperation with business units and technical support staff, both domestically and abroad
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- An advanced degree in Physics, Optics, Lasers, or a closely related field or a bachelor’s degree plus 3-5 years of equivalent work experience
- Expertise in writing brand-consistent content that meets project goals and addresses user needs.
- Strong Organizational and Planning Skills
- Native Language Writing Skills in English
- Familiarity with SEO best practice
An advanced degree in Physics, Optics, Lasers, or a closely related field or a bachelor’s degree plus 3-5 years of equivalent work experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Great presentation and communication skills with the ability to understand the audience, to structure effective presentations, and distill key messages to effectively inform and persuade.
- An ability to flourish with minimal guidance, in a dynamic, fast-changing environment, and be proactive in times of ambiguity.
- Ability to Multitask, Be Detail Oriented, and to Solve Problems, All While Under Tight Time Constraints
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.