Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
At this entry level position, the individual will be introduced to manufacturing processes, procedures, and handling of precision optical components. Items include but are not limited to Prisms, Lenses, Windows, Mirrors etc. made form specialty glasses and crystals.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Introduction into the proper handling and cleaning of precision optical components.
- Learn and understand how to use the metrology required to measure and qualify precision components.
- Develop an understanding of the manufacturing of precision optical components by grinding of glass and/or crystal components.
- Train on the operation of precision optical manufacturing machinery; surface grinders, edging machines, ID and OD saws, core drills, conventional lapping spindles etc.
- Must be able to interpret technical drawings and written work instructions to produce products to laser quality standards.
- Keeps supervisor apprised of unresolved and/or potential problems that would negatively affect production.
- Inspects all work before passing on to the next operations and/or to inventory.
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas.
- Employees must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, Technicians should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination to not only assemble but grind and precisely place pieces. Work may be sedentary, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. The work cell areas may be noisy at times.
- High School diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.