Director of Application Engineering and Product Management
|OptaSense, Santa Clara, CA, United States|
OptaSense, a Luna Innovations company, is a world leader in Distributed Acoustic Sensing and proud to provide vital information to help protect and secure the world's critical assets.
Drawing on decades of experience in the signal processing world, OptaSense is able to turn standard single mode telecoms fibre into a listening device up to 50km in length. OptaSense is rapidly expanding, with growth built on providing cutting edge solutions and excellent service to clients with security and monitoring requirements in tough environments. The OptaSense system has been deployed successfully worldwide and we now have operations in over 35 countries, in industries such as Oil and Gas, Transport and Security.
Join a challenging, dynamic and fast growing business with an exciting portfolio of international clients working on some of the most critical and exciting projects around the planet.
OptaSense is seeking a Director of Application Engineering and Product Management to join the Santa Clara, California office. The key purpose of this role is a multi-disciplinary leadership position with hands on technical and management responsibilities in applications, engineering, testing, integrated solutions, and product management of state-of-the-art laser technologies and products.
- Propose novel concepts, lead and manage development of laser product and integrated solutions. Develop proposals, including cost, budget and ROI analysis. Produce final reports on development projects.
- Manage product through entire life cycle (cradle to grave) from concept, design, development, transfer to manufacturing, ramp in production till end-of-life.
- Monitor key performance indicators (profitability, ROI, growth) for product line
- Generate and manage products technical documentation: specs, applications documents, test methods.
- Manage and guide OEM customers on technical issues, and customization. Develop, negotiate with customers and manage custom products specifications. Provide sales with cost impact and pricing justifications for custom products.
- Manage technical partnership/vendors of special laser products and lead improvement and development of the product
- Lead qualifications and participate in transfer to production
- Support customers and resolution of technical problems, manage RMA process
- Train and support sales & marketing team on technologies, product specifications and capabilities for efficient customer engagements and design wins
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly and efficiently
- Willingness to learn and progress in a dynamic business environment
- Work effectively as part of a geographically distributed team, with employees as well with external sales channels and business partners
- Self-motivated with technical and business opportunity assessment capabilities
- Strong focus and proven record on support over various stages of engagements OEM customer’s design in/win/qualification stages and process
- Management skills, project planning, budgeting, problem solving
- Technical degree, MS or higher (PhD preferable) in Optics, Physics or related field, with a minimum of 10 years of experience.
- Extensive hands-on experience in advanced photonics and laser technology from R&D, fabrication, test and reliability assessment. Test data analysis.
- Understanding of optoelectronics, with emphasis on semiconductor laser technology, integrated optics, planar waveguides design and Bragg gratings
- Extensive hands-on experience in technical troubleshooting and resolution in various levels of optoelectronics industry from components to systems
- Product management/documentation/specification/customization experience
- Interpersonal skills, direct communications with customers to work with and resolve challenges on customer’s needs
- Ability and experience to interact with vendors to drive and manage outsourced projects
- Hands–on experience with data analysis to propose design and process changes for performance and yield improvements
Luna is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer - Minorities/ Females/ Veterans/ Individuals with disabilities/Sexual orientation/Gender Identity.