Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position works with the Software team to develop and maintain life-science imaging platforms. The ideal candidate for this role will be someone who has strong C#/C++ development skills and experience designing Windows based instrumentation systems. They will also provide technical support to other in-house groups. Although the location of the position is in Sterling, VA, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop robust and efficient code for Imaging Systems
- Document requirements and design specifications as well as verification plans and test cases
- Participate in code, design and architectural reviews
- Perform coding and unit tests of requirements as they are defined
- Software testing and assisting with validation of system design
- Assist with project planning, estimation and tracking
- Report development status to supervisor on a regular basis
- Maintain an orderly laboratory notebook and design history file
- Assist both the service and manufacturing departments in troubleshooting technical problems with software. This includes training of personnel
- Direct or Assist other junior engineers as needed
- Recommend innovations and improved methods, tools, and processes
- Perform other related duties and assignments as required
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- At least 5+ years of proven experience in commercial software design, development, and implementation
- Minimum of a BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be fluent programming in C# and/or C++, and have a solid command of object oriented design principles
- Experience with WPF is a plus
- Must have excellent verbal, written and listening skills.
- Must be able to work effectively with others both within and external to the engineering group
- Must possess the ability to quickly and creatively solve unexpected problems using strong analytical skills
- The candidate is expected to take the initiative to anticipate or avoid potential problems
- Strong Microsoft Visual Studio Development experience
- Experience Debugging Hardware Interface is a plus
- Experience with Matlab and LabVIEW is a plus.
- Experience with image analysis/processing is a plus
- Experience working with Imaging and Optical Systems is a plus
Other: Willingness for travel, including weekends, sometimes with short notice.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.