Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
We are looking for an experienced assembly technician to support the Fiber Optic section of the Free Space Isolator group in our Optics manufacturing division. The ideal candidate works well in a fast-paced team environment, takes pride in detailed-oriented work, handles production time pressures, and enjoys Ã¢â‚¬Å“hands-onÃ¢â‚¬Â work. The candidate will primarily focus on manufacturing orders but may work with engineering on product and process development as needed
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Cleaning, handling and assembly of fiber optic, optical and opto-mechanical component
- Cleaning and visual inspection of optical components to laser quality finishes.
- Proper handling and packaging of critical and fragile optical components.
- Procedure enforcement, maintenance, and cleaning of manufacturing area
- Mixing and application of glue and epoxies neatly and in proper amounts
- Must be a detail oriented person.
- Must work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Must maintain a safe and clean working environment; must comply with procedures, policies and regulations.
- Maintain excellent attendance to ensure position responsibilities are met.
Work may be active, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. The work areas may be noisy at times.
- Minimum 3 years of experience of optical component assembly
- Experience handling optical fiber patchcords and pigtail subassemblies
- High School Diploma or equivalent or equivalent work experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be able to read and follow written assembly procedures.
- Must have willingness and ability to quickly learn new processes/procedures.
- Must have a steady hand with excellent dexterity and eye-hand coordination to inspect, clean and assemble small high precision optics and metal parts using microscope
- Must be able to use a microscope for a majority of the workday
- Manual strength is required to pry permanent magnets off of metal trays or rails.
- Must be able to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
- Ability to work independently or with a team in an efficient manner.
- Strong sense of ownership.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.