Are you naturally curious? So are we at MKS. Our collective curiosity drives us to be an innovation leader in many industries. Our products drive technology advancements across a wide range of applications such as 5G, augmented/virtual reality, autonomous vehicles, clean drinking water and space exploration. We are a team of collaborators who value fresh thinking and believe in mutual respect, constructive candor, diversity and inclusion. As a valued and trusted partner to our customers, we are continually pushing the boundaries of possibility. We believe in creating technology that transforms our world and are looking for like-minded individuals to join our team. If this is appealing to you, we want to meet you.
We are looking for an exceptional Laser and Optical Engineer who can:
Design and build laser based optical systems and successfully transition design solutions to development and manufacturing environments. Thrive in a fast-paced, technically challenging, multi-disciplinary environment. Move tasks from concept to design and follow through to successful implementation. Grow and expand their skills as part of a dynamic team focused on achieving elegant and efficient solutions to technical challenges that lead to market success.
Key Job Functions Include:
- Creating optical design solutions, building prototypes, and validating designs for use in the MKS/ESI line of products.
- Overseeing engineering life cycle of products including architecture, design, and implementation.
- Documenting procedures and methods.
- Conferring with product marketing on writing of functional specifications.
- Maintaining relationships with suppliers while defining specifications and troubleshooting issues.
- Measuring project completion percentage at critical stages and implementing corrective actions as necessary.
- May lead small to medium sized teams to complete tasks and designs on time and within budget.
- Other duties may be assigned and additional challenges may appear.
What you will bring to the team, along with your creativity and passion for lasers and optics is:
Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, or equivalent in the field of Physics or Electrical Engineering with emphasis on Laser and Optics is preferred with at least 5 years of related experience. Experience with solid state, mode locked, gas or fiber lasers is required. Experience with lasers operating from UV through IR, and femto second through nanosecond pulse width range is highly desired. Experience with CO2 lasers is a plus. Experience with designing, building, and testing lasers as well as optical components and systems is required. Experience with optomechanical design is a plus. Experience with laser measurement equipment - power meters, probes, beam profilers, oscilloscopes, pulse detectors, etc., as well as optical measurement and methods is required. Experience with optical systems, optical alignment methods and optical design programs such as Zemax or Code V is a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess:
- Integrity and ethics and the ability to inspire the trust of others.
- Motivated, self-driven, positive approach to problem solving.
- Ability to support several projects simultaneously, the ability to multitask, work on a team, and prioritize.
- The skills to complete complex tasks on schedule while delivering quality output with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Ability to travel internationally sometimes on short notice in support of MKS/ESI system installations. Requires appropriate work authorization to freely enter and exit primarily Asia Pacific countries. We are interested in a qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we will not sponsor employment visas. Travel expected up to 10%.
- Strong business, analytic, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent phone and computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, high tech environment.
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.