Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs’ continued effectiveness as a photonics manufacturer depends critically on its ability to create low-friction, intelligent interfaces that subject-matter experts feel compelled to use. Offering extensive New Product Introduction guidance, sales insight, and endpoints that inspire cross-company collaboration, the company’s internal product lifecycle management (PLM) website leverages domain knowledge, Angular, and Microsoft Azure technologies to manage the company’s 20,000-item product portfolio.
The Software Tester & Administrator will closely partner with the Development Lead and Technical Marketing Manager to continuously verify that new and existing features of the website meet specifications and create business value. The successful candidate will be capable of (a) understanding stakeholders’ requirements beyond the written word, (b) gathering and conveying information to a worldwide user base, both in one-on-one and group learning settings, and (c) maintaining a current understanding of the numerous business roles that website users inhabit.
This position requires strong interpersonal and communications skills, the ability to work independently, an interest in UI design and the details of technical implementations, and a desire to understand and shape how internal and external customers interact. The position is located at our headquarters in Newton, NJ.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Generate, execute, and clearly document test plans that help ensure specifications are met and business functionality is maintained
- Assist and provide timely feedback to the development team in support of regularly scheduled feature and maintenance code deliveries.
- Collaborate with engineers and personnel from Thorlabs' manufacturing entities and other departments, such as Marketing, Technical Support, and Sales, to support existing and new business workflows.
- Maintain familiarity with the responsibilities and roles of website users throughout the company, developing an understanding for their needs and pain points.
- Attentively and promptly answer user questions, troubleshoot one-on-one, and guide issues to resolution, identifying when user- and/or department-side actions are warranted.
- Conduct effective and regularly scheduled website training sessions in person and electronically.
- Produce unambiguous and actionable feature requests, bug reproduction steps, and user stories.
- In collaboration with the Technical Marketing Manager, assess and prioritize requests in view of the product road map and projected business value.
- Understand and practice the Agile and Scrum development methodologies.
- Comfortably navigate the test, staging, and production environment architectures.
- Background in testing websites or other software with a technical userbase
- Strong aptitude for written, verbal, and visual interpersonal communication
- Familiarity with modern internet forums, communications platforms, and other interactive websites is a plus
- Knowledge of Postman is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, an ISTQB or CSTE certificate, or significant equivalent work experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to self-start and work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities under time constraints
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot user problems on the fly
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.