Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
We are looking for an insightful, talented, dedicated electrical engineer to join a team responsible for the design and development of advanced optical imaging systems, from component level up to full system integration. As part of a small team, engineers focus on new product development with the expectation to work with limited guidance on complex engineering activities in a fast paced environment. This position may conceive, design, and prototype both analog and digital circuits. It may also involve development of automated circuit test systems using scripting software such as Python and/or Labview. Activities include design documentation, prototype verification and debug, test development and transfer to manufacturing. This position requires troubleshooting of complex electronics and optical system problems, and being committed to customer satisfaction.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for design and/or testing of analog and mixed signal circuits.
- Responsible for documentation including, but not limited to: electrical schematics, PCB layout and artwork generation, bill of materials for PCB sub-assemblies, assembly instructions, test procedures, and end user’s manuals.
- Interfacing with researchers, other design engineers, and production staff to develop robust, producible systems that adhere to regulatory and compliance requirements
- Support migration of systems from design phase to manufacturing phase
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some lifting is required. This would require the ability to lift test equipment, open cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary.
- Entry level position (0-3yr experience) looking for a generalist electrical engineer, but more experienced individuals are also welcome.
- Some experience with high level windows programming such as .NET, Python or Labview is desired.
- Familiarity with schematic capture and PCB layout (Altium software a plus).
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with laboratory instrumentation such as function generators, oscilloscopes, network analyzers, and logic analyzers
- Strong sense of ownership and work ethic, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient computer skills is a must
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in instruments
- Hands on experience with soldering, PCB rework, and cable assembly
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.