Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position includes designing, prototyping and troubleshooting electronic circuits and systems. Additional tasks consist of documentation, vendor management, prototyping, and transferring production ready products to manufacturing. A successful candidate for this position keeps apprised of cutting edge technology, is able to think outside the box while simultaneously keeping things simple and remains within budget. This candidate will also responsible for delegating electrical tasks to subordinate electrical engineers. The location of the position is in Sterling, VA--may be required occasionally to undertake duties at other Thorlabs or customer locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop electronics for precision scientific instruments and peripherals
- Develop FPGA code
- Develop firmware to control and monitor a number of optical, mechanical and electrical components within one integrated system
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging and manufacturing phases
- Manage project timeline and costs
- Manage electronic component vendors and contract manufacturers
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics related system issues
- Manage electronics engineering documentation and material specifications
- Develop test fixtures for manufacturing
- Assist and or troubleshoot our production team when problems arise
- 10+ years’ experience with electronics design for scientific, biotech, medical, or semiconductor instrumentation
- Substantial experience in analog/digital low noise design, simulation and implementation
- Substantial experience in power electronics
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout in Altium Designer
- Experience in FPGA firmware programing
- Experience in C programming and debugging microcontrollers (Atmel SAMD21 and SAMV70 and Eclipse IDE are a plus)
- Experience with Verilog CPLD programming (Lattice is a plus)
- Experience with Microsoft Visual C#
- Experience with SolidWorks is a plus
- Degree in Electronics Engineering and experience in a related field such as Mechatronics and Scientific Instrumentation
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of embedded hardware, such as microprocessor and microcontroller based control and monitoring circuits
- Knowledge of C, C++, C#, and Verilog environment is a must
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in instruments
- Familiarity with design and implementation of optoelectronic circuits and control systems
- Strong communication skills and presentation skills
- Team player
- Strong innovation skills.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.