Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs seeks a Laser Development Engineer to work at the Laser Division facility in the Denver/Boulder Metro area. Candidate will work as part of the R&D team to research and develop scientific fiber and free space laser technologies. Candidate will be responsible for designing and testing fiber and free space lasers, amplifiers, and ultrafast photonic devices in CW and femtosecond pulsed regimes in a broad range of wavelengths in the visible through mid-infrared. Candidate will also be responsible for facilitating the product release process and transfer to production. Candidate will assist the production team as needed to meet the demands of the business. Candidate will be required to self-manage their time and complete tasks independently.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designing, building, and testing breadboard and prototype lasers and amplifiers for scientific and industrial applications;
- Designing experiments to qualify proof of concept technologies;
- Interacting with design team to assist in overall development of products;
- Developing test procedures, writing user manuals, and training manufacturing and service personnel for transition of products from research and development to manufacturing;
- Creating specifications for key components and test procedures as part of the development and release to production process;
- Providing technical support to Manufacturing, Marketing and Service.
- MS or PhD in Physics, Optics/Photonics, Electrical Engineering, or other related engineering disciplines;
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in development and implementation of free space or fiber laser or amplifier designs in either academia or industry;
Required Technical Skills:
- Hands-on experience building fiber and free space lasers or amplifiers.
- Knowledge of nonlinear optical processes, especially harmonic generation, optical parametric processes, and/or supercontinuum generation.
- Broad knowledge of photonics technologies such as core-pumped and cladding-pumped active fiber systems, ABCD matrices, polarization analysis, etc..
- Experience with femtosecond pulse characterization such as auto-correlator, FROG or SPIDER.
- Scientific and engineering software expertise (i.e. MATLAB, LabView, CAD, Python, etc.).
- Hands-on experience working with fiber fusion splicer and cleaver.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Strong understanding of femtosecond pulse propagation in fiber and bulk optics including the effects of dispersion and nonlinearity.
- Knowledge of mode-locked laser cavity designs and theory of operation.
- Experience with dispersion compensation in fiber and free space.
- Experience designing experiments to fully map out a project’s development parameter space.
- Ability to write programs for laboratory use and data capture.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.