Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is within the LPS team of individuals that assemble / fabricate any or all of the following: semiconductor material, electronic components, subassemblies, products or systems by performing work assignments that are routine in nature and where judgment is required. Although the location of the position is in Jessup, MD, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Reads work orders, follows production drawings and sample assemblies.
- Positions and aligns parts in specified relationship to each other in jig, fixture or other holding device.
- Assembles components, such as semiconductor device, Ceramic sub mount, optical lens and isolator, TEC, heat spreaders, etc
- Performs intermediate assembly tasks, such as cleaning, epoxy bonding, fiber attachment, seam seal, bias trim, burn-in and final prep.
- Perform basic failure analysis and work with engineering staff to remedy problems and improve processes.
- Tends machines that bond, inspect, reflow and test parts, adjusts or trims materials from components to achieve specified electrical or dimensional characteristics.
- Performs online go-no-go testing and inspection to ensure parts and assemblies meet production specifications and standards.
- Follow clean room protocol
- Maintain throughput as directed by the supervisor
- Communicate production issues to the supervisor
- 0-7 years’ experience in semiconductor wafer fabrication/ assembly/ packaging or other manufacturing/ technical environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills, simple oral communication skills.
- Visual acuity, manual dexterity and successful completion of company’s training program and certification associated with job and successful completion of various levels of HS&E training.
- Will be required to learn basic maintenance functions based on specific, assigned duties.
- Will be required to participate six sigma training
- Basic Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) software use, any associates degree course work would be a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision in a collaborative, team environment and comply with high quality standards.
- Must work well in problem solving situations, demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness, complete tasks correctly and on time.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.