Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
We are seeking an insightful, talented, dedicated Firmware and Software Engineer to contribute to our fast paced and dynamic R&D environment within Thorlabs’ Laser Division. The successful candidate will be primarily developing code that runs with high reliability on challenging real-time environments. The candidate is also expected to develop basic software and user interfaces as well as SDKs. Successful candidate will be working across almost all of our key product lines in this mission critical position.
- MEng, MS, or BS with minimum of 5 years of work experience.
- Proficient in C/C++.
- Proficient in design of real time firmware algorithms.
- Proficient in use of electronic test equipment, designing methods for testing "real time" performance of firmware timings.
- Direct experience writing microcontroller firmware, particularly for Atmel and STM processors.
- Exposure to Revision control software like Git or Subversion.
Candidate with the following experience are desired (but not absolutely required)
- Python / .NET / Java
- I2C, SPI, USB, RS-232
- Direct experience and ability to read schematics and control of hardware.
- PID control implementation in Firmware.
- Experience with single board computers (e.g. Beaglebone, Arduino, Galileo)
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.