Optical Lens Designer
|The Aerospace Corporation , El Segundo, CA, United States|
The Electro-Optical Sensor Performance Section within the Integrated Sensor Design and Analysis Department supports passive electro-optical remote sensing payload development and test with design and analysis. Projects range from short-turnaround prototypes through Class A satellites and from pre-proposal phases through on-orbit support. System design concepts are developed and analyzed against mission requirements. In a concurrent engineering environment, systems are evaluated collaboratively from an optical, thermal, and structural perspective to determine on-orbit performance.
- Design, model, and analyze passive electro-optical airborne and space-based remote sensing systems using standard ray tracing tools (e.g. CodeV, Zemax). Systems include visible and infrared imaging radiometers and spectral imaging sensors.
- Generate novel remote sensing payload concepts to meet evolving customer requirements. Provide performance analysis of passive remote sensing electro-optical sensor systems for assessing proposed designs and developing technical performance requirements.
- Work independently and collaborate with senior staff and department management to solve challenging technical problems.
- Degree from an accredited university in optics, physics, electrical engineering or another related discipline.
- 5+ years of post-degree experience performing detailed optical system design and analysis using optical ray trace code software such as CodeV or Zemax, in the workforce and/or in the pursuit of an advanced degree.
- Strong computer programming skills in an engineering application environment such as MATLAB, ENVI/IDL, or Mathematica.
- Good analytical skills in passive remote sensing electro-optical system performance evaluation including radiometry, optical design and testing, and sensor performance metrics.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with Air Force and government customers, and with contractor personnel.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information TS/SCI SSBI security clearance.
- Advanced degree in optics, physics, electrical engineering or another related discipline.
- Demonstrated lens design experience for electro-optical remote sensing space-based systems.
- Experience with opto-mechanical design for implementation and build.
- Experience working with cross-disciplinary engineering teams (e.g. structural and thermal engineers).
- Demonstrated team leadership experience and mentoring of junior staff.