Optical System Design and Test Engineer
|The Aerospace Corporation , El Segundo, CA, United States|
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration – to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Electro-Optical Sensor Performance Section within the Integrated Sensor Design and Analysis Department supports passive electro-optical remote sensing payload development and test with design and analysis. Projects range from short-turnaround prototypes through Class A satellites and from pre-proposal phases through on-orbit support. System design concepts are developed and analyzed against mission requirements. In a concurrent engineering environment, systems are evaluated collaboratively from an optical, thermal, and structural perspective to determine on-orbit performance.
- Design, model, and analyze passive electro-optical airborne and space-based remote sensing systems including visible and infrared imaging radiometers and spectral imaging sensors.
- Generate novel remote sensing payload concepts to meet evolving customer requirements.
- Develop and review test setups, procedures and data for integration and alignment of optical systems.
- Work independently and collaborate with senior staff and department management to solve challenging technical problems.
- Degree from an accredited university in optics, physics, electrical engineering or another related discipline.
- 5+ years of post-degree experience performing optical system design, analysis, alignment and test in the workforce and/or in the pursuit of an advanced degree.
- Strong computer programming skills (e.g. data analysis, scripting) in an engineering application environment such as MATLAB, ENVI/IDL, or Mathematica.
- Experience collecting and analyzing interferometric data for optical system alignment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with Air Force and government customers, and with contractor personnel.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information TS/SCI SSBI security clearance.
- Advanced degree in optics, physics, electrical engineering or another related discipline.
- Good analytical skills in passive remote sensing electro-optical system performance evaluation including radiometry, optical design and testing, and sensor performance metrics.
- Experience with opto-mechanical design for implementation and build.
- Demonstrated experience in the integration, test, and performance verification and validation of optical systems.
- Demonstrated team leadership experience and mentoring of junior staff.