Electro-optical System Modeling and Simulation Specialist
|The Aerospace Corporation , El Segundo, CA, United States|
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration – to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Integrated Sensor Design and Analysis Department supports the design and deployment of electro-optical sensor payloads for civil, commercial, and national space systems. Our activities include: concept definition, mission-driven design-synthesis, high-fidelity modeling and design, and detailed performance analysis of visible and infrared electro-optical sensors and sensor constellations.
- Perform modeling and simulation of radiometry, wavefront propagation and sensing, and of diffraction effects for visible and infrared imagers and spectrometers.
- Support the development of new remote sensing concepts with modeling and simulation, including the development of technical performance requirements and in the assessment of proposed designs
- Provide electro-optical expertise in the areas of Earth remote sensing, space situational awareness, and/or overhead persistent infrared
- Provide oversight, guidance and technical advice on customer projects involving remote sensing
- Work with other engineers as a team member to solve multi-disciplinary problem, including mentoring junior staff
- Interface frequently with program office and government personnel
- Degree in mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, optical engineering, or another related discipline from an accredited university
- At least 8-years of experience post-bachelor degree, either in the workforce or in pursuit of an advanced degree in a related field
- Demonstrated experience using a common processing language (e.g. MATLAB< Python, IDL, C/C++, Fortran) to implement solutions to problems in remote sensing
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work across organizations and with outside customers to complete technical assignments
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills relating to the performance of electro-optical visible and infrared sensors, including topics such as: radiometry, radiative transfer, wavefront propagation and sensing, diffraction effects, detection theory, and visible and infrared backgrounds.
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information access (TS/SCI) Security Clearance (US Citizenship Required)
- Ability to lead technical and project teams
- Track record of mentoring junior staff
- An advanced degree in mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, optical engineering, or related fields
- Experience using common codes to calculate atmospheric transmission as it relates to electro-optical radiometry (e.g. MODTRAN)
- Experience in phase retrieval techniques for optical system analysis
- Current and active Top Secret clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information access (TS/SCI).