The Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii (RCUH) is a State agency, established by the Legislature in 1965, and is attached to the University of Hawaii for administrative purposes. The fundamental mission of RCUH is to support the research and training programs of the University of Hawaii and to enhance research, development, and training generally in Hawaii.
ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY & INSTRUMENTATION PROJECT MANAGER – ID# 220056.
Institute for Astronomy. Regular, Full-Time, RCUH Non-Civil Service position with the Institute for Astronomy (IfA), located in Hilo, Hawai‘i. Continuation of employment is dependent upon program/operational needs, satisfactory work performance, availability of funds, and compliance with applicable Federal/State laws.
MONTHLY SALARY: Salary commensurate with qualifications.
- Serves as Project Manager for instrument and telescope development projects located at IfA Hilo.
- Executes research activities and manages three (3) projects to develop modern instrumentation and operational capabilities for the University of Hawai‘i (UH) 2.2-meter telescope on Maunakea, Hawai‘i, and one project developing new detector technology.
- The projects will: 1) roboticize and modernize the telescope control software on the UH 2.2m, 2) develop and demonstrate a new adaptive secondary technology on the UH 2.2m, 3) develop and deploy a new robotic laser adaptive optics system (Robo-AO-2) on the UH 2.2m, 4) develop the next generation of infrared (IR) detectors for future ground-based and space-based instrumentation.
- Time will initially be split roughly equally among these projects.
- Duties include, but are not limited to, schedule tracking and analysis; monitoring budget; organizing and coordinating team activities; developing and updating Gantt charts; creating and updating work breakdown structure; tracking progress; overseeing contracts and procurements; aiding in drafting contracts; generating reports to funding agencies; generating technical documentation; attending in-house and external design reviews.
- Will occasionally work at high elevations at the Maunakea summit.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university in Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- Three to five (3-5) years of progressively responsible experience in project management with responsibilities for scheduling and budget monitoring.
- Functional knowledge and understanding of practices and principles of project management.
- Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written documentation, write reports and procedures, communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and word processing software.
- Ability to work independently and work well with others.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team members, and individuals.
- Ability to interpret and adhere to funding agency reporting and budgetary requirements.
- Ability to clearly prioritize demands of multiple projects.
POLICY AND/OR REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS: As a condition of employment, employee will be subject to all applicable RCUH policies and procedures and, as applicable, subject to University of Hawai‘i's and/or business entity's policies and procedures. Violation of RCUH's, UH's, or business entity's policies and/or procedures or applicable State or Federal laws and/or regulations may lead to disciplinary action (including, but not limited to possible termination of employment, personal fines, civil and/or criminal penalties, etc.).
- Experience working in academia or a research environment.
- Experience in Astronomy and with astronomical instrumentation.
- Experience in project management for astronomical instrumentation and telescopes.
- Technical knowledge of astronomical instrumentation, and the ability to keep up with current developments in ground-based astronomical telescopes.
- Experience or ability to perform as a project engineer.
- Certificate in Project Management.
INQUIRIES: Dr. Mark Chun – email@example.com (Hawai‘i).
Please apply directly on the RCUH website to be considered for the position.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Please go to www.rcuh.com and click on “Job Postings.” You must submit the following documents online to be considered for the position: 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, 3) Supervisory References, 4) Copy of Degree(s)/Transcript(s)/Certificate(s). All online applications must be submitted/received by the closing date (11:59 P.M. Hawai‘i Standard Time/RCUH receipt time) as stated on the job posting. If you do not have access to our system and the closing date is imminent, you may send additional documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions on the application process and/or need assistance, please call (808)956-8344 or (808)956-0872.
CLOSING DATE: March 6, 2020 or until filled. Applications received after this deadline may be considered only if the position is not filled or up to the date a selection has been approved by the RCUH (whichever comes first).
RCUH’s mission is to support and enhance research, development and training in Hawai‘i, with a focus on the University of Hawai‘i.
Equal Opportunities Employer – Minorities/Women/Disability/Veteran.