Masimo (NASDAQ: MASI) headquartered in Irvine, California, is a fast-growing and award-winning international medical technology and device company with operations spanning the globe. We develop innovative, noninvasive monitoring technologies that save, extend and improve the lives of people of all ages, in all walks of life. These revolutionary technologies are helping to solve "unsolvable" problems that have plagued the healthcare industry, while taking the pain and discomfort out of blood monitoring. For more than 25 years, innovation has been and will continue to be our passion.
To learn more about us, please visit: www.masimo.com
The Optical Sensors Engineer (OSE) will assume the role of the team’s expert in the field of optical sciences and engineering with emphasis in biophotonics sensors. The OSE will be working with a team of scientists and other multidisciplinary engineers. The OSE will be directly responsible for carrying on the state-of-the-art research, conceptual design, engineering design, product development, procurement and vendors interactions, prototyping and packaging of components, subassemblies, test fixtures and casing. THE OSE will be engaged in all forms and stages of development and parts fabrication working with specialized vendors to tackle different optical configurations (free space, fiber optics, micro-optics, photo-detectors, and lasers), integration with other sensors, electronic subassemblies and adaptability to proper anatomical sites. The OSE will be directly engaged in setting up experiments, testing, gathering data and analysis, validation of performance of components, subassemblies, test setups and systems. The OSE will generate and support documentation of all designs, bill of materials, test and inspection procedures and reports, QA/QC/RA requirements, data and any related conceived intellectual property activity. The OSE will support the transition of validated models into manufacturing phase and will assist in the procurement of all the parts and services needed to complete the different assigned tasks. The position assumes broad cross-functional skills in related engineering fields. The position has a forward looking research and development aspect, to learn, adapt and incorporate new techniques into our medical diagnostic product lines. The position offers rich opportunities for career development as a leader in clinical translation of new technologies.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- Advanced degree in Optical Engineering or related field with > 5 yrs. hands-on industrial experimental experience. Will consider BS candidates with > 7 years related experience
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on related engineering and product development experience in the field of Optical Sciences; including Fiber Optics, Geometrical and Physical Optics, Photo Detectors and Low Level Signal Detection Systems, Bio-photonics, Tissue Optics and Lasers
- Proven track record of having a balanced abilities between analytical and experimental design
- Experience in modeling, designing, procuring (work with vendors), prototyping, developing, testing and validating performance of unique and miniaturized optical sensors (Fiber Optics-and free-space-based) and sensing systems
- Experience in designing, fabricating, prototyping, setting up test gear, troubleshooting and validating performance of low-level signal detection and signal conditioning electronics
- Experience with handling procurement, fabrication and inspecting of micro-optics components, optical materials (adhesives, matching compounds, etc.)
- Hands-on experience in prototyping and validating the performance of optical subassemblies and systems (including micro-fluidics) that encompasses mechanical, electrical (analog & digital) and miniaturized optical components.
- Experience in packaging durable and ergonomically designed and miniaturized electrical/mechanical/optical parts leading to robust sensors for the medical device applications
- Ability to function efficiently as an individual contributor and in a cross-functional team of different specialties and seniority levels and vendors
- Fluent with standard and specialized computing, processing gear (hardware and software) and lab test equipment
- Proven track record of producing clear and accurate documentation (lab notes, drawings, reports, etc.) throughout the work function
- Ability to clearly present (verbally and in writing) and discuss all conceived (IP-related) technical concepts, designs, test methodology, test results findings, data analysis and suggestions of improvements
Duties & Responsibilities:
The hired candidate will be an integral part of the team developing a unique medical diagnostic system. In general, all assigned responsibilities and duties will be focused on undertaking an active role to understand the mission and the set goals of the program and projects and as translated to specific tasks by the Supervisor. Being in an early and dynamic stage of development, the nature and priorities of the tasks may change from time to time as needed to support the activity in hand. As part of a visible team, he/she will be asked to execute all assigned tasks within the team’s given resources and is encouraged to be secure all conceived intellectual property emanating from their innovative and engineering skills to advance the projects status throughout product development and manufacturing. The position will offer for noticeable achievers a great opportunity for career growth and professional rewards.
Physical requirements/Work Environment:
- This position primarily works in a laboratory and an office environment. It requires frequent sitting, standing and walking. Daily use of a computer and other computing and digital devices is required. May stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings or walking in the facilities. Some local travel is necessary, so the ability to operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid Driver’s license is required.
The physical demands of the position described herein are essential functions of the job and employees must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job described.
We are proud to offer if eligible a highly competitive compensation plan with an excellent benefits package including three weeks vacation, stock options, 401k match, medical, dental, vision plans and much more!
Masimo is an Equal Employment Opportunity Commission / Affirmative Action employer, We encourage Minorities, Females, Disabled and Veterans to apply.
***NO AGENCIES PLEASE*** Thank you!