Applications Engineer III
|Hamamatsu Corporation, San Jose, California or Bridgewater, NJ, CA, United States|
Hamamatsu, one of the world's largest suppliers of advanced light detectors and detector systems for industrial, scientific, and commercial applications, is seeking to fill an Applications Engineer III position, in our Bridgewater, NJ or San Jose, CA location. Our customer base is remarkably diverse; we serve Fortune 100 firms, top research labs, and innovative startups as well. Hamamatsu’s mission is to improve the welfare of society through the advancement of photonics technology. This position requires working with, or exposure to goods and information that may be subject to the jurisdiction of the US State Department ITAR regulations and the Commerce Departments CCL. It is the policy of Hamamatsu Corporation not to sponsor immigration visas for employment applicants.
- Provide proactive technical support and education (includes troubleshooting, correcting operating procedures, product selection based on application and/or supporting engineering physics) on existing products and technologies to customers (end-users, dealer representatives, system integrators, and OEMs) as well as Hamamatsu staff.
- Good communication and teaching skills are crucial. Appropriate communication methods should be used. These can include customer visits, video/telephone conferences, and email. Taking ownership of the problem until the issue is resolved is expected. Product knowledge and operational experience are key tools for completing this task.
- Accountable to support a percentage of product family as a member of the Product Support Team.
- Technical team lead for custom designed products and large projects for high value ($ and/or strategic) customers requiring advanced application engineering support. Interface with customers, sales, marketing, and Hamamatsu Japan.
- Provide advanced technical support that goes beyond the actual product and may cover things like product application. Detailed knowledge of the manufacturing process, production quality control, design rules, as well as applicable regulations and standards are necessary.
- Perform testing and evaluation for proper operation and software compatibility on existing as well as prototype and beta release/pre-production products. Inform the product design group of any issues with product functionality. Share the laboratory experimental results by writing technical notes.
- Maintain and update demo/loan devices.
- As the product specialist or subject matter expert, the Application Engineer III will participate in product release preparations.
- Understand new technologies and features, as well as operations. This requires good communication with Hamamatsu Japan, as documentation will be sparse in the beginning. Collaborate with marketing and create material to educate sales.
- Represent Hamamatsu at conferences, trade shows and seminars as a product and technology specialist.
- Maintain good working relationships with key leading researchers, engineers, and scientists. Attend conferences, give talks, visit research facilities, collaborate on projects, and interact with the community.
- Proactively seek out projects where your skill set will facilitate the sale.
- Take on the role of mentoring and training sales, marketing and technology in the area of product specialization.
- Bachelors of Science in Physics, Electrical Engineering or related field
- 3 years of job experience in technical support or related field
- 2 years+ supporting image sensor related products
- 2 years+ supporting or designing electrical circuits
- Ability to travel up to 25%, possibly international and the ability to transport yourself to and from appointments.
- Project management experience
- Applications knowledge
Hamamatsu offers a competitive salary and excellent benefit package for full-time employees which includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription, Life Insurance, Vacation/Sick/Personal Time, Long Term Care Insurance and Retirement Plans. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, Females/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin.
Send your cover letter & resume to one of the contacts below:
Hamamatsu, ATTN: HR.
360 Foothill Rd.
Bridgewater, NJ 08807