Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The responsibilities of this position are to determine and strengthen Thorlabs’ position as a leading manufacturer of Photonics products through the performance of researching our competitors, analyzing prices, sales, and marketing methods. Also having a clear and deep understanding of Thorlabs metrics specifically OBU. Technical understanding of our processes and products as it relates to all our Key Performance Indicators. Evaluating product line performance with recommendations on all improvements. Create, update and maintain technical presentation material, white papers, and other collateral on our products. This position requires a high degree of drive, interaction, and communication within all sectors of Optics Business Unit, at times working with other groups within Thorlabs. Undertake and lead key projects both technical as well as market based. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations or to attend national- and international tradeshows. The Optics Data Analyst will be able to analyze autonomously qualitative data, trends, strategies and competition aiming at increasing competitiveness.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Define and track metrics that can be used to drive the performance of the Optics Business Unit
- Identify opportunities for new and existing products in new markets.
- Participate in product development initiatives
- Undertake research into the industry sector, markets and competitors
- Market analysis of current product lines, by reviewing current offering and find the market deficiencies
- Review current technical product presentation through web page and documentation
- Monitor BU health through accepted means such as SWOT
- Lead project improvement initiatives where needed
- Determine and clarify strategic and operational issues via consultation
- Understanding, researching and refining Planning models
- Track success of key initiatives (Corporate Initiatives, Kaizens, Product Line Reviews)
- Administer and support manufacturing database for all areas to provide task oriented information to the users and retrieve measurements and feedback to serve as process records.
- Aid Managers/Supervisors in area performance capture and presentation
- Understanding Return on Investments
- Participate in compiling quarterly report outs to management
- Compile and present information verbally, visually and in writing
- Occasionally lead operational training initiatives
- Prior Optics operations, or engineering support experience in combination with market knowledge & research skills
- Two years of experience collecting, analyzing and summarizing statistical data
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to read, write and interpret documents such as product manuals, spec sheets and test data
- Adept at planning, coordinating and facilitating as well as maintaining key relationships with customers and team members
- Willing to constantly learn new technologies, new applications and new developed products
- Able to multitask, be detail oriented, solve problems, and can work under time constraints
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English
- Excellent organizational skills
- Knowledge of CRM tools, data analysis tools, and strong skills in the Microsoft Office suite required (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.