Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position leads the team focused on the precision mounting and placement of optics in optical systems. The optomechanical designs will require little to no alignment of the optic once placed in the system. The role will be responsible for both the design of the system, the function of the manufacturing technologies, and the development of both catalog and OEM markets. The successful candidate will treat this as an entrepreneurial opportunity within a well-established business unit and hence strive for expertise at every task that affects the success of the effort. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, the candidate will need to spend time in the beginning at the Thorlabs Sterling VA office to learn about some of the manufacturing technologies that will be utilized and from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Designs new product lines
- Oversee Manufacturing
- Communicates with customers to understand the needs of the market, problems, and subsequently develop innovative solutions.
- Develop OEM opportunities.
- Vendor Management.
- Documents the product line including design, testing, manufacturing and quality control
- Handles all changes and problems related to product assigned.
- Acts as technical expert for the company for both internal and external customers.
- Works with marketing communications to define the go-to-market strategy, helping them understand the product positioning, key benefits, and target customer.
- Serves as the internal and external evangelist for the product lines developed, occasionally working with the sales channel and key customers.
- Responsible for developing a portfolio/market level product line plan and to solicit approval from the engineering manager and MBU leader to implement the plan
- Manages several projects at one time.
- Responsible for entire product life cycle.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the photonics industry, laser or physics lab.
- Design for Six Sigma (DFFS) and Lean Manufacturing experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics or Mechanical Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience building and operating optical systems that utilize lasers, optics, and detectors
- Experience using SolidWorks 2D and 3D Modeling Application
- Lab View and test automation experience preferred
- Familiarity with Machine shop CNC and manual Milling and Turning
- Familiarity with dimensional tolerances and inspection techniques
- Problem resolution skills applied to providing solutions involving new design and assembly techniques, technologies, and concepts is a must
- Tool and fixture making experience a plus
- Conceptualize, Design, Build, and Implement Product Testing Protocols
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in working in a team environment.
- Demonstrated experience in customer centric environment.
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
- Strong innovation skills and business acumen.
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.