Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position researches, plans, and designs mechanical products and systems. Under general supervision this position participates in the direction and coordination of activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, and repair of mechanical products and systems. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposal and specifications to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Designs products varying in complexity from single piece components to complex systems
- Products developed will support Specials, OEM, and our standard ecommerce products
- Plans/directs engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and development of methods & procedures for testing.
- Directs and coordinates fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Responsible for data entry, document revision and control in the Thorlabs ERP system.
- Minimum 1-3 years of experience in mechanical engineering design.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Working knowledge on SolidWorks or similar 3D modeling software.
- Strong proficiency in MS office and communication tools.
- Excellent statistical data analysis and problem solving abilities.
- Effectively reports progress and problems through written or oral reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Strong innovation skill.
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.