Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs Scientific Imaging group in Austin, Texas, designs and manufactures state-of-the-art digital cameras for myriad applications, including the life and materials sciences, photonics research, and industrial processes. We are seeking a talented and motivated software engineer to develop and evolve our rich, cross-platform camera SDK to serve new camera products and computing platforms, with an emphasis on System-on-a-Chip devices and their capabilities. You will be working with seasoned camera and software engineers in Austin and other Thorlabs locations to create imaging solutions for scientists and engineers around the world.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
Responsible for the design, development, and documentation of camera SDK, software unit and integration test, optimization, and performance and functional benchmarking. Contributor to development infrastructure including automated build tools, issue tracking, and management of version control repositories.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated proficiency in C, C++, and C#
- Solid experience working with multi-threaded and performance-critical applications
- Working knowledge of version control systems (Git preferred)
- Solid object-oriented design experience with a focus on design principles and best practices
- Linux development environments and distributions
- SoC devices, platforms, capabilities, and limitations
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment to solve complex and challenging problems
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with scientific and/or industrial digital cameras
- Familiarity with high-speed device interfaces and buses including USB 3.0, GigE, and PCIe
- Experience using performance profilers and system-level tools (Windbg, etc.)
- Familiarity with C++11 features (variadic templates, concurrency library)
- Familiarity with performance optimization using vector instruction sets (SSE, AVX2, AVX512, ARM Neon)
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or physics
- Minimum 3-5 years of software development and test experience
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.