Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs Scientific Imaging group in Austin, Texas designs and manufactures state-of-the-art digital cameras for myriad applications, including the life and materials sciences, photonics research, and industrial processes. We are seeking a talented and motivated FPGA engineer to contribute to new camera products on proprietary and System-on-a-Chip platforms. You will be working with seasoned camera and software engineers in Austin and other Thorlabs locations to create imaging solutions for scientists and engineers around the world.
- Working with internal customers to finalize product requirements
- Development of Field Programmable Gate Arrays for camera products including coding, test and functional verification, timing closure, and documentation. Emphasis on high-speed hardware data path, memory controllers, image buffer management, and basic image processing
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated strong VHDL or Verilog skills; logical and physical design, timing closure
- Recent completion of complex, dense design with Xilinx or Altera FPGA design flow and simulation tools
- High-speed (GHz) serial I/O and DDR memory implementations
- Familiarity with high-speed (GHz) PCB design techniques
- Recent design of data-intensive architectures and functional blocks; for example radar, lidar, or HDTV applications
- Demonstrated ability to bring FPGA subsystem from concept through release to manufacturing
- Working knowledge of basic signal processing algorithms
- Participation in development of project timelines and milestones
- Management of FPGA technical risk; including analysis, simulation, prototyping, and contingency planning
- Design for Test and Manufacturability
- Electronic product commercialization
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Cameras or imaging systems
- digital image processing
Education and Experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or physics
- Minimum 3 years of FPGA design experience with 2 years of product commercialization experience
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.