Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs Scientific Imaging group in Austin, Texas designs and manufactures state-of-the-art digital cameras for myriad applications, including the life and materials sciences, photonics research, and industrial processes. We are seeking a talented and motivated embedded systems engineer to contribute to new camera products on proprietary and System-on-a-Chip platforms. You will be working with seasoned camera and software engineers in Austin and other Thorlabs locations to create imaging solutions for scientists and engineers around the world.
- Lead embedded software development from concept to sustaining engineering
- Contribute to hardware and system-level design
- Perform design verification and validation for relevant portions of the design
- Contribute to manufacturing test plans and tools
- Contribute to product specifications, manuals, and other documentation
Knowledge and Skills:
- Fluent in C; knowledge of C++ and Python; C++11 and C++14 a bonus
- Experienced with close-to-the-metal development on various platforms, including ARM with and without RTOS
- Familiarity with microcontroller system architectures including concepts of flash programming, registers, interrupts, peripheral control, I/O interfaces and communications (USB, UART, SPI)
- Some knowledge of MMU's, I-cache and D-cache
- Some familiarity with operating system concepts (e.g. threading, prioritization, mutex) and operating systems (e.g. threadx)
- System-level thinker; able to understand interactions between the controller and other system elements and develop integration architectures
- Highly proficient in troubleshooting , using software debugging tools and common lab equipment (logic analyzer, multimeter, oscilloscope, etc.)
- Experience with Git or Subversion for version control
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Imaging or other high-speed data-intensive systems
- Some understanding of USB data transfer concepts (e.g. speed, endpoints, bulk transfers)
- Fundamental image or signal processing techniques (e.g. FIR filters, Fourier transforms)
- Wireless communications
- Mobile platform application development
- Host driver development and debugging
- Mass data storage devices in embedded systems
- Circuit and PCB design
Education and Experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or Physics
- Minimum 2 years of experience developing embedded systems in a structured commercialization environment
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.