Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The OEM Project engineer is an entry-level project engineering role supporting external customers on a business to business sales team. This person will serve as a direct consultant to Thorlabs OEM customers and will work to qualify initial customer projects and see to it that the customers technical and project needs are met to the customers’ expectations. The OEM Project Engineer will work with the appropriate internal teams to ensure rapid feedback and technical information to our customers. This role will directly interface with various levels of technical experts and engineers, both internal to Thorlabs and within the customer organization. Strong communication skills as well as the ability to simultaneously manage multiple complex projects at various stages are required.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Provide sales support to Thorlabs OEM Sales Team as well as directly to Thorlabs OEM customers by managing internal and external projects to meet customer requirements
- Proactively manage customer projects (specs, timeline, compliance, etc) to maintain a current understanding of requirements, resolve operational inefficiencies and ensure on time performance
- Outline cost structure for fulfilling customer projects for completion of pricing inquiries
- Understand and safe guard the business case with respect to cost and schedule
- Establish regular communication pattern to share information and updates with internal and external stakeholders throughout the duration of the project
- Interface with Thorlabs Business Unit engineering, manufacturing and quality teams to confirm customer requirements and develop statement of work
- Support Marketing and Sales activities by attending Tradeshows and Customer visits.
- Travel to visit key customer/accounts, tradeshows as well as Thorlabs entities (<25% travel)
- 2 year’s experience in engineering, project management or related, preferred.
- MS Office Suite; high level proficiency required
- MS Project & MRP/ERP systems preferred
- Understanding of product design and supply chain preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in Optics, Engineering, Physics or a related engineering field; advanced degree preferred
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to read, write and interpret documents such as product manuals, spec sheets and test data.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups and customers
- Adept at planning, coordinating and facilitating as well as maintaining key relationships with customers and team members
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of multi-disciplinary problems.
- Knowledge of Photonics and Laser Technology via work or laboratory experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.