Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs Scientific Imaging group in Austin, Texas designs and manufactures state-of-the-art digital cameras and imaging systems. We are seeking a talented, experienced FPGA design and verification engineer to lead the development and commercialization of FPGA-based, high-speed, data acquisition host adapters for Thorlabs products.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Development of Field Programmable Gate Arrays including coding, test and functional verification, timing closure, and documentation. Emphasis on timing closure and high-speed hardware data paths.
- Technology transfer from Thorlabs R&D division
- Working with internal customers to finalize product requirements
- Minimum 5 years of FPGA design experience with 2 years of board-level product commercialization experience
- Minimum Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or Physics
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated strong VHDL and/or Verilog skills; logical and physical design, timing closure
- Recent design of complex and dense FPGA solutions with Xilinx FPGA design and simulation tools
- High-speed (GHz) serial and DDR3 implementations
- Familiarity with high-speed (GHz) PCB design considerations
- Recent design of data-intensive architectures and functional blocks; for example RADAR, LIDAR, or HDTV.
- FPGA-based, board-level architecture and design
- Demonstrated ability to bring FPGA subsystem from concept through release to manufacturing
- Familiarity with PCIe host computer architectural and data-movement considerations
- Contribution to the development of project timelines and milestones
- Assessment of FPGA technical risk; including analysis, simulation, prototyping, and contingency planning
- Board-level, production test development and implementation
- Electronic device commercialization
- PCIe host adaptor card FPGA design and commercialization experience desired
- Imaging systems experience desired
- Digital signal processing experience desired
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.