At Coherent, Inc., we have harnessed the power of light to become the world's leading independent designer, manufacturer and supplier of high-powered precision electro-optical components and laser-based solutions for medical, scientific and commercial applications. And although that alone is impressive, what truly makes Coherent, Inc. unique is our work environment. It's a strong, stable work environment that values the individual and places a premium on teamwork. Couple that with tremendous growth potential and the only thing that'll will be growing faster than Coherent will be your career. With an incredible range of innovative medical, scientific and commercial lasers, Coherent, Inc. is home to the most talented professionals in the laser and optical industry. Come learn more about us. We're searching for others like ourselves to join the brightest team in the business.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
The Coherent Integrated Optical Systems business unit is a precision optics and optical assemblies design and manufacturing group, which specializes in high-precision aspheres. Applications include semiconductor and flat-panel display manufacturing, ground and space-based telescopes, defense systems and other exotic scientific and government-sponsored programs. The business encompasses the Tinsley Custom Optics product line, and is located in Richmond, CA.
We are seeking a senior metrology engineer to assist us in executing the most demanding technical projects in aspheric systems design and metrology.
- Developing optical designs to satisfy system level requirements.
- Conducting engineering analyses and evaluation of complex optical systems. Provide design for manufacturability feedback to customers.
- Tolerance component and system optical tests, develop error budgets and test procedures, train manufacturing personnel, and assist with first article testing as needed.
- Analyze process and metrology data for first articles as needed.
- Support of customer meetings and telecons, interface with vendors and close interaction with multiple engineering disciplines.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Education and Work Experience:
- MS or PhD in physics or optical engineering.
- Experience in optical design & analysis tools such as Code V, Zemax, FRED or equivalent
- Experience with interferometers, optical test & alignment equipment, cmm’s, and metrology methods is required
- Working knowledge of Matlab
- Ability to support ITAR programs (US Citizen or permanent resident)
- Experience as project or technical lead is highly desired
- Experience supporting new business proposal or IR&D technology development efforts is a plus
- Experience programming in C is a plus