Calling the adventurers ready to join a company that's pushing the limits of nanotechnology to keep the digital revolution rolling. At KLA-Tencor, we're making technology advancements that are bigger—and tinier—than the world has ever seen.
Who are we? We research, develop, and manufacture the world's most advanced inspection and measurement equipment for the semiconductor and nanoelectronics industries. We enable the digital age by pushing the boundaries of technology, creating tools capable of finding defects smaller than a wavelength of visible light. We create smarter processes so that technology leaders can manufacture high-performance chips—the kind in that phone in your pocket, the tablet on your desk and nearly every electronic device you own—faster and better. We're passionate about creating solutions that drive progress and help people do what wouldn't be possible without us. The future is calling. Will you answer?
Group / Division
The Film and Scatterometry Technology (FaST) Division provides industry leading metrology solutions for worldwide semiconductor IC manufacturers. The FaST Division portfolio of metrology products includes hardware and software solutions for optical film thickness, optical critical dimension (CD), composition, and resistivity measurement systems. These products are essential for the IC manufacturers as they provide critical metrology capabilities for the development and implementation of their advanced IC processes. The FaST division is committed to support our customers to achieve performance entitlement of our solution and we effectively partner with our customers from their early research and development phase to the high volume in-line manufacturing implementation specific for their process needs. The division consists of a global team located in US, Israel, China, and India.
The System Design Engineer plays a central role throughout the different phases of the product life cycle. This position is part of a team responsible for developing and supporting next generation Scatterometry Critical Dimension (SCD) metrology systems as well as supporting and improving current systems. The candidate will play a key role in next generation product development, from technology evaluation and selection, specifications development, product validation, verification, transfer to manufacturing, and support of customer ramp. This responsibility includes planning and leading experiments and trade-off studies required to make major architecture decisions on complex systems. The candidate will be responsible for top level system specifications and flow down to sub-system and component level specifications, system error budgets, interface definition, calibrations, and diagnostics. The candidate must be effective at leading a team of engineers to achieve program goals.
The Design Engineer will maintain ownership of the product performance through the life cycle and be responsible for improvement projects and support of field and manufacturing issues. The engineer must be able to complete the initial diagnosis of any system issue, uncover root cause and devise solutions for complex problems. Must be able to support the detailed analysis and tradeoffs for the various solutions, develop plan of action, and effectively communicate plan to colleagues to execute. Must have the knowledge and experience to effectively work with experts in optics, electronics, mechanics, software, and algorithms as required to develop solutions and resolve issues. Some travel may be required to support product transition to manufacturing, beta support at customer sites, and for complex escalations that require onsite support.
Additional details regarding responsibilities:
- Research, evaluate, and propose new product features in support of customer requirements.
- Analyze data on critical components to determine impact on system performance and if performance meets specifications.
- Develop and evaluate concepts and designs for the next generation systems and lead the architecture selection process.
- Resolve inconsistencies between subsystems, conduct trade-off studies, identify high-risk areas, and develop risk mitigation strategies.
- Own creation and execution of prototype test plans for complex subsystems. This will involve integration of subsystems, testing against design tolerances and marketing specifications, analyzing test data, and generation of reports.
- Drive product or feature introduction. This includes preparation of first draft of system alignment, calibration and troubleshooting diagnostics for existing and new products, training of operations and field personnel, and solving technical issues that may impact production introduction.
- Drive team to resolve system issues at customer site or in manufacturing. Work with engineers at locations around the globe to solve issues escalated to engineering: establish root cause, develop plan of action (POA), guide local teams in execution of POA, and document issues and solutions to improve design and/or procedures so that they may be implemented across the fleet in a standard manner.
- Will require some travel (< 25%).
- PhD in Optics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related technical field.
- Strong background in engineering or the physical sciences with demonstrated analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Hands-on experience constructing and aligning opto-mechanical system is highly desirable.
- Experience diagnosing and driving solutions to complex problems across whole systems by applying appropriate problem-solving techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the division, customers, vendors and across cultures.
- Experience developing metrology solutions for the semiconductor capital equipment or other industries.
- Project management skills (scoping, budgeting, and scheduling).
- Doctorate (Academic) with at least 5 years of experience OR
- Master's Level Degree with at least 6 years of experience OR
- Bachelor's Level Degree with at least 7 years of experience.
KLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.